Emakhazeni Local Municipality, led by the Honorable Executive Mayor Cllr. T.D Ngwenya, engaged in yje annual strategic Lekgotla four day event from the 12-15 March 2018 in Sabie at Floreat Resort. This event is held collectively plan for the year ahead. The 2018 Lekgotla was the second one for the current council and included Councillors, Municipal Managers, Ward Committees, Labour Unions, and presentations from COGTA and Nkangala Risk Committee Chairperson. The Honorable Executive Mayor Cllr. T.D Ngwenya opened proceedings with welcoming the gathering to the Lekgotla and then continued as follows:
- Economic transformation must be an integral part of the community.
- Good service delivery should be a priority.
- All commissions should plan according to community needs.
The Lekgotla was then divided into the following four commissions:
- LED, EPWP, Transversal , Public Participation & Communication.
- Corporate Services & Performance Management.
- Infrastructure, Planning & Social Development.
These commissions were tasked to look into matters such as Vision & Mission, Core Values, Strategies / Objectives, Projects / Service Delivery and Budget Implementation Plan for 2018/2019 financial year. Key resolutions from the Lekgotla are as follows:
- That the organisational restructuring will be implemented to ensure a proper allocation of human resources.
- The Municipality acknowledges that it has the responsibility to inform all l stakeholders and residents, of identified issues, progress and results achieved as part of its mandate.
- That in order to ensure effective community mobilisation, a vehicle will be procured for Public Participation Unit.
- That the Contractor Development Programme be continued to ensure that all those in the database fully benefit from the programme.
- That the Supply Chain Policy should be re-examined to suit local contractors.
- That the amount totalling more than R200 million be collected from all those with outstanding debts to the municipality.
- That ruling party’s manifesto should be fully implemented as promised to the people.